Trading simulations for non-traders – Learning by doing (3-day practical, hands-on masterclass)
Unique, unparalleled, immersive, hands-on
Mon-Wed 5-7 December 2022, 09:00-16:00 (CET)
- Primarily non-traders; basically, every professional in the commodity or energy markets who want to master the fundamentals and essentials of markets & trading.
- Get an understanding of a day of an energy trader and the organisation around it.
- Master the consequences of transacting for the wider trade organisation (trade control & trading operations).
- Conversion of knowledge into practical applicability.
- Applying know how leads to a deeper understanding and provides more details.
- Mastering daily practices and practicalities.
- Getting a complete overview of trading activities, processes and concepts.
- Understanding the relationship between business, control and support functions.
- Study materials (handout + book)
- Guided tour around the exchange, brokers, hedge funds and trading firms.
- This programme basically covers the trading of oil, gas, coal, power & carbon, as well as FX, weather and freight. More specifically, practical simulations mimic:
- Asset allocation
- Optimisation of asset
- Spot & forward trading
- Auctioning & continuous trading
- OTC & exchange trading
- Futures & options
- Asset-backed trading
- Cross-commodity, cross-border & cross-period trading
- Spread trading – Securing margins & financial optimisation
- Proprietary strategies
- FX trading
- Freight trading
- Weather risk mitigation
- By means of these simulations insight is provided in the following:
- The chain explained
- Relationships & interaction between front-middle-back office
- Business, control & support functions
- Interaction between the Trading function and the Sales function
- Relation between wholesale and retail markets & pricing
- The role of the Treasury department
- Managing risk
- Managing the risk-reward ratio
- Cash management
- Initial margin
- Variation margin
- Financial performance
- Asset-backed trading
- Dynamic hedging
- Trading technicalities
- The order book
- Market liquidity
- Bid-ask spread
- Market depth
- Order types
- Trade controls
- Risk management
- Risk identification, assessment, reporting and control
- Value at risk & limits structures
- Stress testing
- Scenario analysis versus sensitivity analysis
- Regulatory requirements
- Publication of inside information
- Data reporting/collection
- Trade surveillance
- Valuation (end-of-day/month/quarter/year)
- Mark-to-market valuation
- The relevance of settlement prices, reference prices and indices
- The role of price reporting agencies
About the Lecturer
Jerry de Leeuw + guest speakers
Jerry de Leeuw, MSc. (founder of Entrima, former trader)
Register for Trading simulations for non-traders – Learning by doing (3-day practical, hands-on masterclass)