- Any professional in the commodity or energy markets, including, but not limited to, employees of a company with a trading function, brokers, exchanges, clearing organisations and regulators.
- Experience a trading environment and the traded markets.
- Get acquainted to the players in this field and their role.
- Get a feeling for the current challenges these parties face.
- Experience the look and feel of the setup of a trading organisation and the setup.
- Get first-hand information from market players themselves.
- Visit the surveillance department of an exchange.
- Visit a hedge fund and learn what role they play in the market.
- Visit a brokerage firm and learn how they serve their clientele.
- Visit an trader and learn how most days looks like.
- Attend a presentation by a representative of a clearing organisation
- Attend a presentation by a representative of a regulatory authority.
- 08:00-08:30 Door open – Welcome
- 08:30-09:00 Introduction to markets, players and the venue you are at/in
The history of commodity finance – Touch the world’s first company share
Today’s financial markets versus the physical markets
Today’s commodity & energy trading versus the trading of equity and FX
- 09:00 Opening bell at the exchange
Witness the opening of the markets
Be explained what processes take place pre-, at and post-opening. The daily cycle explained.
- 09:30-10:00 Exchanges – Their role & their regulation – Dirk Donker (Euronext)
Euronext: operator of stock markets & owner of power exchange Nordpool Spot
- 10:30-11:00 Market monitoring – Bram van der Kroft (Euronext)
Visit the trade surveillance department of a trading venue
- 10:30-11:00 Coffee
- 11:00-11:30 Brokerage firms & brokers – Gerard van Eeten (AFS Group)
What developments have brokerage firms gone through over time?
- 11:30-12:00 Commodity & energy brokers – Alex Mc Donald (EVIA) (tentative)
The role of an industry body in a world dominated by regulations
- 12:00-13:00 Lunch
- 13:00-13:30 What do traders do? – Jerry de Leeuw (Entrima)
Explaining the various types of traders and their activities
- 13:30-14:00 Trading firms & strategies – Bart de Brouwer (Semper Power)
Algorithmic trading in equity and energy markets
- 14:00-14:30 The future of the energy markets – Rob Veersma (formerly Shell, Gazprom)
The viability of renewables vs. fossil fuels
- 14:30-15:00 Coffee
- 15:00-15:30 Hedge funds – Marcel Vogel (Mint Tower)
The role of speculators in the markets
- 15:30-16:00 The role of clearing – Emile Goulmy (ABN Amro Clearing NV)
How clearing houses & members manage systemic risk
- 16:00-16:30 Drinks